Announcing full free CauseWay for Clipper 5
Michael Devore
2003-11-14 06:42:44 UTC
A mere 3.8 years after the initial release of CauseWay to public domain, the
full set of CauseWay for Clipper files is available for download at
http://www.devoresoftware.com/freesource/cwsrc.htm . The files are built
from a data file and extractor, called CWBLOOM. These CauseWay for Clipper
files will allow anyone with CA-Clipper 5.x to build CauseWay DOS-extended
applications and they are the same set of binary files as was originally
sold as CauseWay for Clipper 5.

The files are made available in a package that excludes the previously
problematic Clipper copyright issues. User must have a valid version of
Clipper to be able to use the encrypted package, thereby ensuring they
already have the code being protected. I wish I had been smart enough to
think of this approach a long time ago.

A great deal of the credit for this public release goes to Markus
Wiederstein who proposed the initial idea and provided follow-up comments
which help shape the final CWBLOOM concept. He may provide a more elegant
and intelligent Windows-based installation later on, for those who may want
to wait. CWBLOOM is an admittedly dirt-dumb DOS installer, although it does
work.

Quoting from the CWBLOOM package text:

CWBLOOM extracts a ZIP file named CWCLIP13.ZIP containing the CauseWay for
Clipper WL32.EXE linker, CauseWay linkable libraries, and all support files.
Both CWBLOOM files, CWBLOOM.EXE and CWBLOOM.DAT, must be in the directory
containing valid 5.x versions of CLIPPER.LIB, EXTEND.LIB and TERMINAL.LIB or
CWBLOOM will not extract CWCLIP.ZIP.

CWCLIP13.ZIP and the LIB files it contains are copyright 2003, Michael
Devore, Devore Software & Consulting. Those files cannot be redistributed.

CWBLOOM.EXE and CWBLOOM.DAT are copyright 2003, Michael Devore, Devore
Software & Consulting. The two files may only be redistributed together.

All other files in CWCLIP13.ZIP are released to public domain without
restriction.

Applications created by linking with the CauseWay for Clipper LIB files
using WL32.EXE are free of any redistribution restrictions.

<EOQ>

Source for the LIB files is not included. However, since the original
source was generated from a ASM disassembly, it's not a big loss. Low-level
programmer types can do their own disassembly and reassembly of the library
for any desired modifications.

Directly related questions, comments, and discussion for Devore Software &
Consulting may be posted to the CauseWay/WarpLink forum on the board at
http://www.devoresoftware.com/forum . Note that there is no guarantee of an
accurate or inaccurate response or...well any guarantees or other promises
at all really...on the board.
Markus Wiederstein
2003-11-14 13:44:30 UTC
Am Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:42:44 -0600 hat Michael Devore
Post by Michael Devore
A great deal of the credit for this public release goes to Markus
Wiederstein who proposed the initial idea and provided follow-up comments
which help shape the final CWBLOOM concept. He may provide a more elegant
and intelligent Windows-based installation later on, for those who may want
to wait. CWBLOOM is an admittedly dirt-dumb DOS installer, although it does
work.
nice words Michael, thanx for this public release.

i guess everyone who is still using plink, rtlink and crippled blinker
versions will now be happy to be able to link their clipper apps in a
32bit protected mode version.

I'm using causeway for many years and it is still my favourite linker.

Everything is running smooth on win32 platforms, most of the 3rd party
libs are supported and now this great product is placed into public domain.

thanx again.

Everyone who is planning to try causeway will receive help from my side
here on comp.lang.clipper. and i bet that Michael won't stay calm, too ;-)

Yours, Markus

btw: next aproach in a public domain release are still the huggle tools.

i'm still working on the install package for win32.
Pritpal Bedi
2003-11-15 03:56:30 UTC
Markus
Post by Markus Wiederstein
i guess everyone who is still using plink, rtlink and crippled blinker
versions will now be happy to be able to link their clipper apps in a
32bit protected mode version.
32bit protected mode version.
Does CauseWay create 32 bits exes? Which Blinker version is inferior to
CauseWay?

Just for curosity.

Regards

--
Pritpal Bedi, INDIA | a student of software analysis & design
http://www.vouchcac.com | Vouch, the software that grows with you
Extended Library for Clipper, Xbase++ & xHarbour
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-17 08:35:31 UTC
Post by Michael Devore
Markus
Post by Markus Wiederstein
i guess everyone who is still using plink, rtlink and crippled blinker
versions will now be happy to be able to link their clipper apps in a
32bit protected mode version.
32bit protected mode version.
Does CauseWay create 32 bits exes? Which Blinker version is inferior to
CauseWay?
Just for curosity.
Regards
For my CW created EXE on ExoSpace for CL5.3 scripts. In RunTime have I GPF
error when NNet*() function from TOOLS is called :(.

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Markus Wiederstein
2003-11-17 10:33:10 UTC
Post by Marek Horodyski
For my CW created EXE on ExoSpace for CL5.3 scripts. In RunTime have I GPF
error when NNet*() function from TOOLS is called :(.
Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Marek, please send me your link script and some details about the libs
(version, timestamp, ...)

letz get it to work

Markus
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-17 13:02:42 UTC
Post by Markus Wiederstein
Post by Marek Horodyski
For my CW created EXE on ExoSpace for CL5.3 scripts. In RunTime have I GPF
error when NNet*() function from TOOLS is called :(.
Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Marek, please send me your link script and some details about the libs
(version, timestamp, ...)
letz get it to work
Markus
Yes, I can send it tomorrow.

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-18 07:50:39 UTC
Post by Markus Wiederstein
Post by Marek Horodyski
For my CW created EXE on ExoSpace for CL5.3 scripts. In RunTime have I GPF
error when NNet*() function from TOOLS is called :(.
[...]
Post by Markus Wiederstein
Marek, please send me your link script and some details about the libs
(version, timestamp, ...)
letz get it to work
Markus
In file CALLSTACK.ERR is :

Called from: NNETWORK(0)
Called from: IU(30)
Called from: (b)KOMPILATOR(0)
Called from: BOSS(0)
Called from: START(0)
Called from: MAIN(16)

in EXOSPACE.BAT have I :
wl32 /lc:exospace.def %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

exospace.def is form exospace.df3 (for Clipper.53)

Command runing Exospace.bat :
EXOSPACE.BAT @..\bin\script.lnk

in script.lnk file is :
File Homar, msg, ntxsort, clipbrdp, yield, cl_flock, ctusp, ctIntP
#File Homar, msg, ntxsort, clipbrdp, yield, ctusp, ctIntP, cl_flock, cld.LIB
#MAP =Homar.map S, N
Stack 8192
ExoSpace Package DOS25
Lib homar, ctp53, cpmi, df301cl.lib, DbfCdx, _DbfCdx
Output Homar.exe
#eof

On screen is :
Called from: (b)KOMPILATOR(0)
Called from: BOSS(0)
Called from: START(0)
Called from: MAIN(16)

CauseWay DOS Extender v3.49 Copyright 1992-99 Michael Devore.
All rights reserved.

Exception: 0D, Error code: 0000 04 04

EAX=0000DC7F EBX=000003F6 ECX=00200000 EDX=0000A988 ESI=00000029
EDI=0000A9F8 EBP=0000A4DC ESP=0000A4C4 EIP=00003CC1 EFL=00000246

CS=267F-000A3F60 DS=3117-000C6C60 ES=32CF-xxxxxxxx
FS=0000-xxxxxxxx GS=30E7-000C00B0 SS=30E7-000C00B0

CR0=00000000 CR2=00000000 CR3=00000000 TR=0000

Info flags=0000C019

Writing CW.ERR file....

CauseWay error 09 : Unrecoverable exception. Program terminated.

CW.ERR file is 70k lenght - it is to longer to sennd on this newsgroup.
When I remove nnet*() function from my aplication it work wery nice and very
fast. Ca 15% faster than exospaces aplication.

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Michael Devore
2003-11-18 08:14:43 UTC
Since you're using CA-Tools library, try linking in CWCATOOL.OBJ. You can
do this explicitly or conditionally in the DEF file with the OBJADD or
OBJAPPEND or +OBJ command. A missing CWCATOOL.OBJ may be the problem since
it does or did patch some problematic areas in CA-Tools library versions. I
don't know if it applies here, but that would be my first solution attempt.
Called from: MAIN(16)
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-18 10:37:58 UTC
Post by Michael Devore
don't know if it applies here, but that would be my first solution attempt.
Ok. I will try.

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Markus Wiederstein
2003-11-18 17:52:11 UTC
Post by Markus Wiederstein
Marek, please send me your link script and some details about the libs
(version, timestamp, ...)
letz get it to work
Markus
Hi Marek,

be sure to run this batch before linking with causeway and clipper 5.3
USECL53.BAT - Changes linker definition files for CA-Clipper 5.3 use.

If you experience a problem with a library, make sure you are using the
latest protected mode compatible version.

If a lib is protected mode compatible, and follows the documented ExoSpace
API or uses a subset of the Rational API calls, then it should
work with CauseWay. This includes, but is not limited to, such
libraries as Class(y), Grumpfish, Provision, StarClass, Telepathy
and many others.

Notes:
CLIPPER TOOLS (protected mode compatible version, including
CTP.LIB, CTUSP.OBJ and CTINTP.OBJ): Use of this library usually
requires setting WL32's /fx option. The /fx option changes the
way one object record fixup type is handled by the linker. The
protected mode version of CA Clipper Tools requires this
different fixup logic to work correctly. The new .DEF files
included with versions of CauseWay 1.25 and later automatically
set this option and link in CWCATOOL.OBJ.

CWCATOOL.OBJ was modified in CauseWay version 1.2b to properly
lock two hardware interrupt handlers set by Clipper Tools. This
could lead to unexplained lockups if the code page holding the
interrupt handler was swapped out by virtual memory. This is an
error in Clipper Tools that can occur with all protected mode
DOS extenders, although the latest CWCATOOL.OBJ corrects the
problem through patching.

After all that try the following link script:

#

#bof
ECHO LINKSCRIPT CAUSEWAY.LNK (Causeway 32Bit Settings)
Output Homar.exe
MAP S,A
nodeflib
Stack 8192
fi cwswap #Linkable object module containing memory swap function.
fi CWCATOOL #linkable patch for catools

File Homar, msg, ntxsort, clipbrdp, yield, cl_flock, ctusp, ctIntP
#File Homar, msg, ntxsort, clipbrdp, yield, ctusp, ctIntP, cl_flock,
cld.LIB

Lib homar, ctp53, cpmi, df301cl.lib, clipper, extend, DbfCdx, _DbfCdx
lib dbfntx # as you still link in ntxsort.obj, correct ?
#eof

regards,
Markus

some notes if linking a debugger version:

Using Clipper's Debugger

The stand-alone Clipper debugger (CLD.EXE) is not compatible
with protected mode and cannot be used with CauseWay or other
DOS extenders. Therefore, you must link in the linkable version
CLD.LIB when using the debugger with Clipper applications.

Even CLD.LIB, however, is not fully protected mode compatible.
To make CLD.LIB protected mode compatible, the CauseWay runtime
library CWCLP52.LIB for CA-Clipper 5.2, or CWCLP501.LIB for
Clipper 5.01, contains a few replacement modules to allow
protected mode operation using the Clipper debugger. Because of
this, the CauseWay runtime library must be linked in prior to
CLD.LIB. Do not link CLD.LIB as an object module because its
modules will then be linked in first before the CauseWay library
modules. Complicating matters, modules from the CLD.LIB library
may not always be linked in if the file is simply specified as a
library.

To ensure that library modules from CLD.LIB are linked in, list
the object module CWUSECLD.OBJ (from the CauseWay distribution
disk) in the object module list. CWUSECLD.OBJ contains several
external references to symbols in CLD.LIB and forces all the
library modules from it to be linked in. CWUSECLD.OBJ works
with both the Clipper 5.01 and CA-Clipper 5.2 versions of the
CLD.LIB debugger.

When using FREEFORMAT for link files, change FILE CLD.LIB to
LIB CLD. When using positional format link files, move CLD.LIB from
the object module list to the library list.
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-24 10:19:19 UTC
Post by Markus Wiederstein
Post by Marek Horodyski
GPF
error when NNet*() function from TOOLS is called :(.
[...]

I try to use CauseWay with terminal from OTC SA (www.otc.pl). It is terminal
function (replaces terminal from TERMINAL.LIB ). It work like terminal from
unix system. But on start have I :
CauseWay DOS Extender v3.49 Copyright 1992-99 Michael Devore.
All rights reserved.

Exception: 00, Error code: 0000

EAX=0000BA90 EBX=000000FE ECX=00000000 EDX=000F0000 ESI=00007268
EDI=00007300 EBP=0000B1D6 ESP=0000B1C8 EIP=00001A56 EFL=00003246

CS=2557-000D5CC0 DS=2FAF-000EF1D0 ES=32AF-xxxxxxxx
FS=0000-xxxxxxxx GS=2F2F-000E24C0 SS=2FAF-000EF1D0

CR0=00000000 CR2=00000000 CR3=00000000 TR=0000

Info flags=0000C019

Program Linear Load Address: 02E80000

*--- and on end in CW.ERR file :
Total Linear memory: 0011A78C (0011E000) in 00000025 blocks

Linear memory locked
====================

base length
-----------------
02F4EAD0 00000474
02F1CD40 000003D7
02F6F1D0 00010000

DOS memory blocks
=================

sel base length
----------------------
3157 00007130 00000100
315F 0000F3B0 00000400

Protected mode interrupt vectors
================================

No sel offset
----------------
00 0317 00000230
02 3177 0000006E
23 3177 00000056
24 1C27 000005BF
34 032F 000008B7
35 032F 000008B7
36 032F 000008B7
37 032F 000008B7
38 032F 000008B7
39 032F 000008B7
3A 032F 000008B7
3B 032F 000008B7
3C 032F 00000882
3D 032F 000008AF

Protected mode exception vectors
================================

No sel offset
----------------
0D 0317 0000071C

Real mode interrupt vectors
===========================

No seg offset
-------------

Call-Backs
==========

real target
-----------------------

CAUSEWAY work with mediator from otc.
I use tools, but no CTUSP.OBJ. Sav10Seg is in CTSAV.OBJ.
In link process CW32 says that 7 functions is more than once defined.

Should I use CTINTP.OBJ or not ?
(sorry for my modest and poor english).

Regards,

Marek Horodyski
Markus Wiederstein
2003-11-24 13:01:35 UTC
Am Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:19:19 +0100 hat Marek Horodyski
Post by Marek Horodyski
I try to use CauseWay with terminal from OTC SA (www.otc.pl). It is
terminal function (replaces terminal from TERMINAL.LIB ). It work like
terminal from unix system.
Is this replacement function really protected mode compatible ?

Does it work with Exospace ?
Post by Marek Horodyski
CauseWay DOS Extender v3.49 Copyright 1992-99 Michael Devore.
All rights reserved.
Exception: 00, Error code: 0000
EAX=0000BA90 EBX=000000FE ECX=00000000 EDX=000F0000 ESI=00007268
EDI=00007300 EBP=0000B1D6 ESP=0000B1C8 EIP=00001A56 EFL=00003246
[snip]
if you leave that OTC function out and only use the clipper terminal,
does it work then ?

Just to be sure it's the otc replacement function.
Post by Marek Horodyski
CAUSEWAY work with mediator from otc.
I use tools, but no CTUSP.OBJ. Sav10Seg is in CTSAV.OBJ.
In link process CW32 says that 7 functions is more than once defined.
Marek, i need more details:
link script, the way you link, clipper version, etc.
Post by Marek Horodyski
Should I use CTINTP.OBJ or not ?
(sorry for my modest and poor english).
We will see

Markus

Marek Horodyski
2003-11-24 16:00:48 UTC
Post by Marek Horodyski
I try to use CauseWay with terminal from OTC SA (www.otc.pl). It is
terminal function (replaces terminal from TERMINAL.LIB ). It work like
terminal from unix system.
Is this replacement function really protected mode compatible ?
Does it work with Exospace ?
No. It is worked only with Blinker 4.1 or higher.
Post by Markus Wiederstein
if you leave that OTC function out and only use the clipper terminal,
does it work then ?
Yes - only with clipper terminal it work.
Post by Markus Wiederstein
link script, the way you link, clipper version, etc.
Link script tomorrow.
Clipper 5.3b with latest tools wersion (upgreade to C version)

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Michael Devore
2003-11-25 01:27:06 UTC
Post by Marek Horodyski
I try to use CauseWay with terminal from OTC SA (www.otc.pl). It is terminal
function (replaces terminal from TERMINAL.LIB ). It work like terminal from
CauseWay DOS Extender v3.49 Copyright 1992-99 Michael Devore.
All rights reserved.
Exception: 00, Error code: 0000
EAX=0000BA90 EBX=000000FE ECX=00000000 EDX=000F0000 ESI=00007268
EDI=00007300 EBP=0000B1D6 ESP=0000B1C8 EIP=00001A56 EFL=00003246
CS=2557-000D5CC0 DS=2FAF-000EF1D0 ES=32AF-xxxxxxxx
FS=0000-xxxxxxxx GS=2F2F-000E24C0 SS=2FAF-000EF1D0
CR0=00000000 CR2=00000000 CR3=00000000 TR=0000
Info flags=0000C019
Program Linear Load Address: 02E80000
Ooh, I know this one, a little bit. It's a divide by zero exception. I
think it's most common cause was an old or unpatched version of CA-Tools.
The LIB used a timing loop and the loop ran too quickly, leading to the
divide by zero when computing a time. Except you said you had the latest
CWTOOLS and were using the CTUSP and all the protected mode patches? Hmm,
if you can't clear it up here, you'll probably need to e-mail or upload the
CW.ERR and MAP file so I can see where it's occurring. Still sounds like a
variant of that original CA-Tools problem, though.
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-25 08:37:31 UTC
Post by Marek Horodyski
Ooh, I know this one, a little bit. It's a divide by zero exception. I
think it's most common cause was an old or unpatched version of CA-Tools.
The LIB used a timing loop and the loop ran too quickly, leading to the
divide by zero when computing a time. Except you said you had the latest
CWTOOLS and were using the CTUSP and all the protected mode patches? Hmm,
if you can't clear it up here, you'll probably need to e-mail or upload the
CW.ERR and MAP file so I can see where it's occurring. Still sounds like a
variant of that original CA-Tools problem, though.
My tools is upgreadet to "2000" vesion. It is another error. OTC writed in
manual, that exe mus be linked with blinker. It mus work in both mode - real
and protected. Now I don't have gpf error, but on client have I messeage :

Error TERMINAL/0 : SRV: general error starting application

On this moment I mus linked it with blinker. I try linked it with CW later
( client and serwer exe).

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-26 08:10:09 UTC
Post by Marek Horodyski
Post by Marek Horodyski
My tools is upgreadet to "2000" vesion. It is another error. OTC writed in
manual, that exe mus be linked with blinker. It mus work in both mode - real
Error TERMINAL/0 : SRV: general error starting application
On this moment I mus linked it with blinker. I try linked it with CW later
( client and serwer exe).
Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Michael,
Aplication PERFECTLY work when EXE on client side and EXE on serwer side are
both linked with CauseWay.

Regards,
Marek Horodyski
Marek Horodyski
2003-11-30 15:12:24 UTC
Michael Devore
2003-12-01 21:38:04 UTC
GPF on an indirect fall call to through the location 06eah (call far
[06eah]). Happens right before the end of a routine, since the call
generating the exception is followed by register restores and a return.
Either the desired call address was bad due to corruption or else the code
to be called was not linked in. That's about all I can tell you just from a
partial CW.ERR dump.
Post by Marek Horodyski
Till yesterday all was ok. Now terminal version (terminal client and
terminal serwer) works ok, but nonterminal version (normal terminal) make a
gpf when it logget to Mediator Serwer. I don't can why ?
Called from: MEDLOGIN(0)
Called from: (b)KOMPILATOR(0)
Called from: BOSS(0)
Called from: (b)KOMPILATOR(0)
Called from: BOSS(0)
Called from: MAIN(45)
CauseWay DOS Extender v3.49 Copyright 1992-99 Michael Devore.
All rights reserved.
Exception: 0D, Error code: 0000
EAX=00000006 EBX=00000B48 ECX=00000000 EDX=00002FC7 ESI=00000700
EDI=0000AD9C EBP=0000A5D2 ESP=0000A5C2 EIP=00000433 EFL=00003206
CS=0317-00007240 DS=2FC7-000F01A0 ES=2FC7-000F01A0
FS=0000-xxxxxxxx GS=2FC7-000F01A0 SS=2FC7-000F01A0
CS:EIP > FF 1E EA 06 8B 3E 06 34 59 58 5E 07 C3 56 57 E8
Fred Zuckerman
2003-12-01 22:28:20 UTC
I seemed to have lost my 4:00am version. I can only find my 2:00am version.
Could some one send it to me???? Ross?
Thanks (this group is tremendous),
Fred Zuckerman
San Diego, CA, USA
***@sbcglobal.net
unknown
2003-12-02 07:13:03 UTC
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:28:20 GMT, "Fred Zuckerman"
Post by Fred Zuckerman
I seemed to have lost my 4:00am version. I can only find my 2:00am version.
Could some one send it to me???? Ross?
Thanks (this group is tremendous),
Fred Zuckerman
San Diego, CA, USA
Hi Fred,

Check your email.

Regards,

Ross McKenzie
ValuSoft
Melbourne Australia

Markus Wiederstein
2003-11-17 11:05:44 UTC
Post by Michael Devore
Markus
Does CauseWay create 32 bits exes? Which Blinker version is inferior to
CauseWay?
Just for curosity.
Hi Pritpal,

CauseWay is the only 32-bit (386) DOS extender for use with CA-Clipper.
The 386 protected mode that CauseWay offers swaps code and data to virtual
memory in much smaller (and consequently more efficient) blocks than 286
protected mode. 386 protected mode also has a maximum virtual memory size
of 4 gigabytes, which is far beyond that offered by 286 protected mode.

In addition to the 386 DOS extender and 386 protected mode linker,
CauseWay also offers a symbiotic debugger, and EXE file compressor, high
speed linking and runtime performance, low memory requirements, protection
from decompilers, compatibility with other linkers' scripts, an optimized
replacement library for some of Clipper's runtime routines, sample files
and a memory swapping function that lets you shell out from your Clipper
applications with a conventional memory overhead of only 12K.

Causeway is used by many companies, f.e. if you know Powerquest
with their tools Drive Image and Partition Magic, which are
used by millions of users on this planet, powerquest took the
best 32 Bit Dos Extender they could get to release their products
developed with Watcom c/c++.

As Causeway uses 32Bit assembly instructions to service memory,
it can handle it much more faster than 16bit Dos Extenders
like blinker or exospace - and it can handle

Download the latest release here:
http://www.devoresoftware.com/freesource/cwbloom.zip

If you like to have a look at the sourcecodes of causeway,
you'll find 'em here. http://www.devoresoftware.com/freesource/cwsrc.htm

Well if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.

cheers,
Markus

btw: here are some more facts about causeway

High-speed Linking and Runtime Performance:
It takes full advantage of the 386, 486 and Pentium 32-bit instructions,
registers and additional segment registers both within the DOS extender
and in the replacement libraries. Some of the CA-Clipper runtime routines
have been optimized to be two or even three times as fast as the stock
runtime library routines.

Compatibility:
CauseWay is link script compatible with all popular Clipper linkers, so
you don't have to learn anything new to use it. And in version 1.3,
CauseWay supports conditional linking through environment variable
settings. CauseWay also fully supports the ExoSpace and Rational API used
by CA-Clipper third party developers.

Replacement Libraries:
CauseWay's replacement routines use 32-bit instructions. The 32-bit memory
moves and copies are nearly twice as fast as their 16-bit counterparts. In
addition, the Clipper virtual memory manager is not used, so you won't get
any VMIF or VM internal errors in CauseWay-linked applications. All
virtual memory requests and Clipper API calls are mapped directly to the
CauseWay API using chip hardware rather than software emulation. This adds
to the speed and efficiency of your applications. And in the event that a
CauseWay linked application gets a true allocation error, it results in a
General Protection Fault (GPF) with a full information dump so that you
can more easily trace the cause of the error.

Low Memory Requirements:
CauseWay applications require a minimum of just 500K of physical memory to
run any Clipper application (although more is recommended for larger
applications to improve performance). Of the 500K required, only 100K of
it needs to be conventional DOS memory; the rest can be extended memory.
CauseWay also supports a memory swapper function for even lower
conventional memory requirements.
EXE File Size Reduction:
CauseWay comes with an EXE file compressor which allows you to reduce the
size of your linked files by 50% or more. The usefulness of this feature
will best be appreciated when you recall that you cannot use real mode EXE
compressors such as PKLite on protected mode EXEs.

Decompilation Protection:
CauseWay-linked applications cannot be decompiled with any decompiler on
the market. And, when you compress you application with CauseWay's
protected mode compression utility, you even protect your code from other
CauseWay owners. That's because CauseWay compressed applications will not
load under the CauseWay C and assembly language debugger.

Debugging:
CauseWay comes with a symbolic (source-level for assembly language)
debugger that allows C and assembly language programmers to debug
protected mode applications. This debugger includes such advanced features
as hardware and count-conditional breakpoints. Upon encountering a fault,
error files are automatically created by CauseWay to help you track down
where and why the error occurred. Of course, CauseWay works with the
CA-Clipper debugger, too.

Extras:
Included on the CauseWay distribution disk is the source code and a
linkable OBJ for a file viewer which allows you to view any file up to 4
gigabytes in size. The source code is in CA-Clipper and assembly language.
As you have the source code for it, the file viewer can be controlled by
keypress, mouse, or any other input method you come up with. In addition
to the file viewer, you get the full source code to other handy tools,
such as a protected-mode compatible routine to set master environment
variables.
Peter
2003-11-18 06:46:01 UTC
Hi !

My name is Peter I'am from Hungary !

We are by the ca-clipper cca. 1996. On my machine the clipper directory
is CLI52E and the cvbloom.exe not work (not install). I does not understand why.

help.

Best regard Peter
at all really...on the board.
Michael Devore
2003-11-18 07:08:25 UTC
Post by Peter
Hi !
My name is Peter I'am from Hungary !
We are by the ca-clipper cca. 1996. On my machine the clipper directory
is CLI52E and the cvbloom.exe not work (not install). I does not understand why.
help.
Best regard Peter
This probably should be posted in the bulletin board since it's not other
general interest to Clipper users, and because I don't really follow this
newsgroup (I will check regularly for a few days, but very intermittently at
best afterwards). Anyway, the first thing to check is that you have a
Clipper 5.2/5.3 version CLIPPER.LIB, EXTEND.LIB, and TERMINAL.LIB in the
directory you are extracting from. I think Clipper 5.01 will work, but
don't have it anymore. CWBLOOM checks for the existance of all three
libraries, as well as several internal, language neutral, states within each
file. If you are not in the directory with those files, have renamed one of
the files, or don't have a good copy, it will fail. If that doesn't work,
a transfer of the LIBs which cause failure may be necessary to tweak the
install past a problem point, if one exists.

I would encourage follow-ups on the problem to www.devoresoftware.com/forum
rather than posting here to reduce newsgroups clutter for those not using
CauseWay or who aren't have problems with the install.
Michael Devore
2003-11-19 17:19:36 UTC
To better help anyone who wants to use CauseWay, I have made the following
documentation available at
http://www.devoresoftware.com/freesource/cwsrc.htm :

CWCLPMAN.ZIP: this is the original CauseWay for Clipper 5.x Microsoft Word
5.5 x 8.5 manual with copyright and support information removed, converted
to the more universal RTF (Rich Text Format) format. Some loss of
formatting has occurred in the DOC to RTF conversion. The amount of
formatting loss will differ depending on the word processor used to read the
files, e.g. Microsoft WordPad loses pagination and page size while Word does
not.

If you have any problems, questions, or comments, please post them to the
CauseWay section of the bulletin board at www.devoresoftware.com/forum . As
always, there is no guarantee of an accurate, or any, reply. All postings
are maintained at Devore Software & Consulting's discretion and may be
deleted without notice. Offer not valid where prohibited, do not wash in
warm water, etc. etc. etc.