Problem with DBFCDX/1021 Data width error
Marek Brzozowski
2007-11-12 10:08:31 UTC
Hello,

The application I wrote, which was working ok for more than 2 years suddenly
started to generate the error mentioned in the subject line. I made some
researches on the net, but all I got were few documents in spanish and
russian only - the languages which I don't speak...

Actually the problem arised 2 weeks ago (I knew it from errors log generated
by my own rewritten error handling procedures), but the user informed me
about it only 2 days ago. Till now she simply has been restarting the
program not caring much about consequences... :-(
For now I am expecting certain level of data incostincency in the databases,
but I can't tell how big it can be...

I am going to analyse these logs and the lines of the program where this
errors arised, but since I have 2 weeks delay already (caused by careless
user), the problem became quite urgent to me, so I am asking for any help I
could get from you - mainly what is the exact explanation of this error?
What are the conditions of program / databases state triggering it? As soon
as I am done with the analyse (over 5000 lines of log...) and if I find
useful for diagnostic informations there, I will send another post with
supplenmentary data.

Application is written in Clipper 5.2e + CA Tools, linked with Blinker 6 in
protected mode, running as DOS process under Windows 98 SE and running alone
(but is written for network environment).

I am hoping for a prompt help... *s*

tia

Marek
Alex Strickland
2007-11-12 10:21:08 UTC
Post by Marek Brzozowski
The application I wrote, which was working ok for more than 2 years suddenly
started to generate the error mentioned in the subject line. I made some
I am hoping for a prompt help... *s*
Can't help you very much except to explain a data width error, if you
have a numeric field 2 digits wide, saving 100 will cause the error, 99
will not.

Regards
Alex
Marek Brzozowski
2007-11-12 10:55:42 UTC
Post by Alex Strickland
Can't help you very much except to explain a data width error, if you
have a numeric field 2 digits wide, saving 100 will cause the error, 99
will not.
Thanks a lot Alex! This was the case indeed :-) Numeric field was too short
in one of the tables. I fixed this immediately

regards

Marek